Rehabilitation & Fitness
If your pet is struggling with acute or chronic pain, physical therapy may be an option for them. Our canine rehabilitation therapists offer a way for your dog or cat to receive the physical activity they need in a safe, controlled environment. This can help you manage their pain and give them the support they need to heal more quickly. Whether your pet is having surgery or developing complications due to old age, the certified professionals at Elk Rapids Animal Hospital will develop a plan that’s appropriate for the patient.
Reduce Pain With Rehabilitation Services
Elk Rapids Rehab and Fitness Services works in Northern Michigan to treat all types of conditions in animals. As an extension of our pet veterinary clinic, the Elk Rapids Rehabilitation Center is a place where your pet can go for treatment and fitness. The most common conditions we treat with canine and feline physical rehabilitation include:
- Ligament and tendon injuries
- Post-operative complications
- Neurological diseases
- Muscle and joint injuries
Our rehabilitation services can help reduce pain and expedite healing for patients. We use calming environments and positive reinforcement to keep your dog or cat as comfortable as possible, and we often help train and guide you through the entire process.
Our physical therapy services include:
- Therapeutic exercises: We offer massages and stretching, as well as balance and proprioception training to help strengthen and soothe your pet. Our experts also develop exercises and routines that fit the patient’s condition so they stay active without straining their body.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture involves inserting a needle into the patient’s skin at specific trigger points for up to 20 minutes. This procedure helps alleviate pain, reduce inflammation and relax the muscles.
- Low-level light therapy: Low-level light therapy involves the use of wavelengths to help repair cell damage and reduce pain. It’s a simple, painless way to promote healing.
- Hydrotherapy: Hydrotherapy is a low-impact physical activity that allows patients to exercise without straining their joints. An underwater treadmill workout can reduce inflammation, soothe aches and enhance range of motion.
- Massage therapy: Our Elk Rapids veterinarians specialize in finding pain points and providing a relaxing experience with pet massage therapy. This treatment helps ease muscle spasms and heal nerves.
- Chiropractic therapy: Chiropractic therapy is a common form of rehab for dogs and cats. Spinal manipulation can help achieve proper body alignment and decrease joint discomfort.
- TENS: Also known as transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, TENS is a pain management solution often paired with massage therapy. Vets stimulate the nerves by attaching electrodes to sensory nerve pathways throughout the body. We do offer TENS for pain relief, but also the same unit does NMES (neuromuscular electrical stimulation), which electrodes are attached to different muscle groups to provide strengthening.
If you’re looking for an animal hospital that offers licensed therapy for pets, our experts can provide the support you need. Our vet Dr. Jenn Rudnick, along with veterinary assistant Sara, work closely with patients to ensure they receive the proper rehabilitative care.
Dr. Rudnick, who joined our clinic in 2020, has travelled throughout multiple states pursuing her education. After becoming certified in veterinary rehabilitation in 2019, she joined Elk Rapids and our mission to heal the injured.
Contact Us Today for More Information
Elk Rapids Animal Hospital sets itself apart by providing feline and canine rehabilitation services. To learn more about our rehab center for pets and how you can get a referral, contact us online, call 231-264-6700, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep up with the rehab team by following our Facebook page!